Friday, September 16, 2011

Funfetti Cake Pops

Well, I'm going to a friend's niece's birthday party tomorrow and decided to make some cake pops for the little girl. She's turning 7 and I think these pops are the cutest things ever, so I wanted to give them a try.


Recipe (adapted from various food blogs)
(makes roughly 60 cake balls)


1 box cake mix (I used Pillsbury Funfetti)
1 jar of frosting (I used Pillsbury Creamy Supreme Vanilla frosting)
Vanilla melts
Crisco shortening

lollipop sticks
sugar crystals for decoration
block of styrofoam

1. Bake cake according to package directions.
2. When cake is completely cooled, break into crumbs. Add frosting and mix thoroughly together.
    (I actually let my batter then sit in the fridge for awhile so it can harden just a bit)
3. Roll batter into 1 inch balls. Place them on a baking sheet or tray with parchment paper, then place them into the freezer for some time to harden.
4. While the cake balls are hardening, melt the Vanilla melts by placed it into the microwave, stirring occasionally. I use the defrost setting to melt them because it helps from burning the chocolate.
5. Remove the cake balls from the freezer. Take the lollipop stick and dip it into a bit of chocolate, then insert into the cake ball. When finished, placed the cake balls back in freezer.
6. After about 10-15 mins, remove the cake pops from the fridge. You might have to reheat the Vanilla melts in order for it to be really melty again. At this point, if your melt is on the thick side, you can add some shortening to thin it out. You want a runny chocolate so that the coating doesn't get too thick, so add small amounts of the shortening at a time to get the right consistency.
7. Dip the cake pops into the Vanilla melt, tapping off excess coating. Coat them in sugar crystals or sprinkles if you desire. Use a block of styrofoam to stick the cake pops in to keep them up right.






I decided that would make a gift basket out of these cake pops for the birthday girl. I found a small woven basket and used 2 small blocks of styrofoam to make the form in the middle of the basket so that I'll have a place to stick the cake balls into.



I thought that the final product turned out very cute, just hope the birthday girl will enjoy. 

One thing that I wanted to comment on these cake pops is that I noticed a lot of the Vanilla coating was cracking after it was dried. I don't know if this is due to the Vanilla melts themselves or the shortening that was added. I'll have to search around to see if anyone can help me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts, so drop me a line!