Tuesday, October 25, 2011

DIY : Wedding Bouquet




So here's another simple DIY that I did for my brother's wedding recently. The main flowers that I used were tulips with some deep orange mini cala lilies scattered in there. After this, I don't know if I would actually recommend using tulips in your bouquets because although they are my favorite and so pretty to look at, the red red tulips bloomed so large by the next day. So maybe if you're considering using tulips, choose ones that are still tightly closed which will slowly open for you. 

To make this bouquet, I removed all the leaves of my tulips and kept the long stems in tact. I simple picked up about 3 tulips and decided that would be my center. I added a few fillers such as baby's breath, queen ann's lace and some yellow/red flowers I found at the wholesale flower store. 


For every two "main" flowers you bring into the bouquet, add 2-3 small pieces of filler flowers as well. Really, this is the whole concept of creating these bouquets. Rotate the bouquet so that you can see where things need more of something or not. Also, keep in mind that it should be rounded off, so don't have all the lengths of the flowers even, make it more dome like in the center and work your way out.


When you're happy with the size of the bouquet, use some rubber bands to hold it in place. Wrap the band around and try to have it closer to the top as you can so that the flowers don't droop over. For these bouquets, I decided to add some green stems to the outside to give it some "green". Again, I wrapped a rubber band around the bouquet and used it as a fastener for the green stems. I had help in looping the stems and adding it to the bouquet...trust me, it was much faster this way. 


At this point, you're ready for the ribbon. I used a half inch brown ribbon and some head pins to secure. Begin close to the base of the flowers and pun in your ribbon with a downward motion to the pin. You don't want to just stick the pin straight into the handle of the bouquet it case someone might hold it to tightly, so point the pin downward when pinning.


(I decided to add the green stems after already adding ribbon the bouquet, so that's why the above picture is missing the green stems)

Continue wrapping the ribbon around and pinning at about 3/4" intervals. When you reach a point you want to stop at, cut the ribbon and this time, pin in an upward direction, as to not have the sharp pins showing out the bottom. From here, just cut off the end stems to your desired length, and you're good to go. 


Sorry that I don't have a "final product" picture to show you guys but I was finishing up the ribbon part of these bouquets on the morning of the wedding, I was kind of a wreck trying to remember things and it slipped my mind.

As this will the be the last Wedding DIY I have you, I'm gonna just have a little show and tell with some photos from the wedding. I'll show you better ones when we get pictures back from the wedding photographer.


My brother and his bride.


The wedding party at the reception


Me and my nieces.


Me and my bf near the end of the night. As you can tell, my shoes are off. My feet were killing me for having to run around in them.....what us girls won't do for a great pair of shoes. : )


And last...the wedding cake. A simple sponge cake with chocolate mousse.

I hope you guys enjoy this photo overload post.




1 comment:

  1. I love all things DIY too. The bouquet is gorgeous and tulip happened to be one of my favorite flower. Love, love the pic of you guys--you looked so happy!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts, so drop me a line!